To celebrate National Coffee Day (September 29th), learn how to get the clean, healthy coffee you deserve.
The health benefits of coffee may be removed by molds and mycotoxins that could be contaminating your coffee. It is extremely important to find coffees that are free from molds or mycotoxins because these could lead to inflammatory or stress-related diseases. The right coffee brand is one that has rigorous testing and quality control procedures. Testing should be done by a third-party laboratory to prevent biased results. The coffee brand should achieve certifications like USDA Organic Certification and Specialty Grade Certification.
Brands that align with these criteria, like Purity Coffee, will provide you with coffee that is clean, high-quality, and could provide you with health benefits.
Discover more about molds and mycotoxins and how to heal from them at the Mold, Mycotoxin, and Chronic Illness Summit.
Mold and Mycotoxins in Coffee
Coffee is a morning tradition for many of us. It jumpstarts our day, puts us in a good mood, and can benefit our health.
You might think all coffee is the same, but that is not true.
Not all brands of coffee put in the time and care needed to create the highest-quality product. Certain coffee companies do not have rigorous testing procedures or quality control methods. This can cause the coffee you are drinking every day to become contaminated.
If a brand does not perform rigorous testing or quality control, your morning cup of coffee could end up laced with mold and mycotoxins.
Mycotoxins are by-products of molds. According to the World Health Organization, they can cause acute poisoning or chronic diseases like immune deficiency and even cancer.
Not all companies take the care needed to prepare the coffee that reaches your cup. Some do not ensure the safety of their customers through proper quality control procedures. Coffee beans are often exposed to dangerous factors like:
A damp environment is mold’s best friend, and according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, mold can grow anywhere. You can learn more about these effects and how to heal from them at the Mold, Mycotoxin, and Chronic Illness Summit.
Coffee beans can become contaminated with mold and mycotoxins if the beans are:
- Exposed to damp environments during the growing phase
- Stored in conditions that encourage mold growth
Further, poor coffee bean processing can cause buildup of mold and mycotoxins in the coffee that eventually touches your lips. Buildup of mold and mycotoxins during the processing phase can happen because of:
- Improper Fermentation
- Incomplete or Poor Drying
There are coffee brands that really care about their customers. They do their research and put in the care needed during production to ensure their coffee is free from mold and mycotoxins.
One such brand is Purity Coffee. They are an excellent example of what you should look for in an ethical company that creates clean coffee. They test their beans before and after roasting to confirm they are toxin free.
Clean coffee may be harder to come by than you think. Knowing what to look for in a company allows you to eliminate the negative health consequences from mold or mycotoxin contaminated coffee.
Clean coffee that is prepared with rigorous testing and quality control procedures lets you receive the health benefits of coffee.
Health Benefits of Properly Produced Coffee
Coffee that is prepared correctly and does not contain mold or mycotoxins can benefit your health. Researchers have found that clean coffee could reduce your risk of diseases like:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Metabolic Dysfunction
Those researchers found that coffee could reduce the risk for several types of cancer and the risk of all-cause mortality.
But mold and mycotoxin contamination might completely remove those health benefits.
The Impact of Mold and Mycotoxins on Your Health
Coffee has many health benefits, but those benefits could be lost if the coffee you bought was not carefully prepared.
One scientific review found that even small amounts of mycotoxins can kill the healthy bacteria in your gut to cause gut dysbiosis. Gut dysbiosis can lead to indigestion and even mental health problems like anxiety or depression.
But that’s not all.
If your daily coffee has mold or mycotoxins, you could have serious, long-lasting health problems. One key scientific report found that, over time, exposure to mycotoxins from mold could cause:
- Poor Immune System Function
- Death of Cells Lining the Stomach and Intestines
- Kidney Disease
But how do you know if the company you’re buying your coffee from is the right one? How will you know that they put your health first?
Brands that care, like Purity Coffee, take the time to meet the gold standard for coffee production. They ensure that their coffee brewing process undergoes rigorous testing and quality control procedures.
This level of care taken by ethical brands, like Purity Coffee, saves you from the negative health effects of mold or mycotoxins.
Finding High-Quality, Clean Coffee: What You Should Look For
Knowing what coffee brands put the health of their customers first could reduce your risk of exposure to molds and mycotoxins.
To eliminate mold and mycotoxins, coffee brands should put extreme care into the production process.
The right brand will provide you with transparent information about production and testing for safety and quality. When choosing the right premium brand, you should be able to easily find:
- How They Produce and Test Their Coffee
- What Certifications They Have
- What Their Customers Say
What is an Example of a Good Clean Coffee Brand
Doing the research to find a good, clean coffee brand is hard. That is why we’ve done it for you.
Purity Coffee is the perfect example of a premium brand that ensures clean, high-quality coffee. Their coffee is free from molds, mycotoxins, and other harmful chemicals.
Let’s see how they meet the criteria listed above.
Purity Coffee provides an excellent example of a superior production process. They provide transparent information about their process. Here are their steps:
- Select High-Grade Organic Green Coffee Beans – this includes testing the beans to ensure they meet the quality standards and are mold and mycotoxin free.
- Customize Coffee Bean Roasting – customizing the roasts minimizes toxins and maximizes the health benefits.
- Fresh Packing – this allows the coffee to stay fresh and free from any molds and mycotoxins
Like all superior coffee brands, Purity Coffee has rigorous testing and quality control procedures. These include:
- Third Party Testing – independent laboratories test coffee for pesticides, molds, mycotoxins, and heavy metals. Third party testing ensures unbiased confirmation that their coffee is safe and of the highest quality.
- USDA Organic Certification – this certification tells you that the coffee you are drinking was produced without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or genetically modified organisms. This greatly reduces the risk of pesticide or chemical contamination.
- Specialty Grade Certification – this certification is only given to coffee beans that experts determine to have high-quality and superior taste. Optimal growing conditions in specific regions are needed to ensure this premium coffee experience.
Purity Coffee embodies what all clean coffee brands should. They not only assure you that their coffee is clean and of the highest quality, but they also go the extra mile to promote ethical and sustainable practices. They are:
- Rainforest Alliance Certified – this certification confirms that the coffee brand aligns with ethical and sustainable environmental and social practices. This includes habitat preservation, fair wages, and providing better livelihoods for coffee-farming communities.
- Smithsonian Bird Friendly® Certified – this certification demonstrates that the brand’s coffee is grown in ways that preserve bird habitats and biodiversity in the coffee farms. This maintains the ecological balance of the natural ecosystems.
Lastly, they have over 33,7000 5-star reviews. So, what do their customers say?
- “Ever since I started drinking Purity coffee, I've enjoyed my daily coffee so much more and it's been much easier to digest. I really enjoy the simple, resealable packaging as well” – K
- “I love being able to enjoy a hot cup of coffee without the indigestion afterwards!” – C
- “A couple of friends recommended Purity coffee to us. We are so glad they did. We love the taste, but we also love the added health benefits.” – D
It is clear to see that this brand provides the perfect example of what you should look for in clean coffee. Not only are their coffees free from molds and mycotoxins, but they are ethical and sustainable as well.
World Health Organization. (2018). Mycotoxins. World Health Organization: WHO. Read it here.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). CDC – Mold – General Information – Basic Facts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Read it here.
Barrea, L., Pugliese, G., Frias-Toral, E., El Ghoch, M., Castellucci, B., Chapela, S. P., Carignano, M. L. A., Laudisio, D., Savastano, S., Colao, A., & Muscogiuri, G. (2023). Coffee consumption, health benefits and side effects: a narrative review and update for dietitians and nutritionists. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition, 63(9), 1238–1261. Read it here.
Liew, W. P., & Mohd-Redzwan, S. (2018). Mycotoxin: Its Impact on Gut Health and Microbiota. Frontiers in cellular and infection microbiology, 8, 60. Read it here.
Zain, M. E. (2011). Impact of mycotoxins on humans and animals. Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, 15(2), 129–144. Read it here.
Purity Coffee Staff. (n.d.). The Purity Process. Purity Coffee. Read it here.